“Sports and Health Analytics Research with a Gender Perspective” (SHARP) is a Spanish network of researchers funded by the High Council of Sports (CSD) of the Spanish Ministry of Culture and Sport (Ref. 09/UPR/20). The mission of the SHARP network is to get together different research groups in Spain and abroad that can cooperate in developing research and transfer actions aimed at:
- Describing the current situation of the sports and health sectors by means of data-intensive studies.
- Identifying emerging trends and predicting the future evolution of the sports and health sectors.
- Supporting public and private organizations in the sports and health sectors while making informed decisions and designing data-driven policies.
- Identifying best practices that facilitate the massive adoption of healthy habits in nutrition, physical activity and sport among citizens of all ages.
- Integrating a gender perspective in the approach of analytics research in sports and health.
Using methods, techniques, and algorithms from data science, business analytics, operations research, and artificial intelligence, this raw data can be transformed into information and knowledge, thus allowing for a better understanding of how sports can benefit citizens as well as for supporting smart decision making among public and private organizations in the sports and health sectors.
The SHARP network is lead by UOC researcher Ángel A. Juan as principal investigator and coordinated by three research groups at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya: GenTIC and ICSO at the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3) and FoodLab at the UOC Faculty of Health Sciences.
Start date: 1 January 2020 – End date: 13 November 2020
Research groups integrating the SHARP network:
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
Universitat de Vic – Universitat Central de Catalunya
Universitat Politènica de Valencia (UPV)
Universitat Politènica de Catalunya (UPC)
Universidad Pública de Navarra (UPNA)
Euncet Business School (EBS)
Universidad de La Laguna (ULL)
Universitat de Valencia (UV)