Data Science and Information Technologies Applied to Sports and Health (Analytics@Sports&Health) is a Spanish network of researchers funded by the Spanish Ministry of Culture and Sport (Spanish High Council of Sports, CSD) and coordinated by UOC’s professor Ángel A. Juan, lead researcher of Research Group ICSO at the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3). Besides ICSO, FoodLab and GenTIC take part in the network, together with 8 other research groups from different Catalan and Spanish universities.
Analytics@Sports&Health members cooperate in developing R&I initiatives to promote the use of data science, business analytics and information technologies (including methods and techniques from statistics, machine learning, operations research, and artificial intelligence) in the areas of sports and health. By transforming data into information and knowledge, Analytics@Sports&Health aims at fostering a better understanding of the benefits of sports for health and supporting smart decision making of policymakers, public organisations and enterprises in the Sports & Health sector.
To achieve this overall goal, the main scientific challenges addressed by the Analytics@Sports&Health network concern the design and integration of analytics tools and methods, healthcare studies and gender perspectives that contribute to:
- describing the current situation of the Sports & Health sector by means of data-intensive studies
- identifying emerging trends and predicting the future evolution of the sector
- support public and private organizations in making informed decisions and designing data-driven policies
- identifying best practices that facilitate the massive adoption of healthy habits in nutrition, physical activity and sport among citizens of all ages
- analysing the current gender gap regarding enrolment in engineering and technical degrees applied to the fields of sports and health
Start date: 2 August 2019 – End date: 22 November 2019
Research groups integrating the Analytics@Sports&Health network:
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
Euncet Business School (EBS)
Universitat Politènica de Catalunya (UPC)
Universitat Politènica de Valencia (UPV)
Universidad Pública de Navarra (UPNA)
Universitat de Valencia (UV)
Universidad de La Laguna (ULL)
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Serveis Assistencials del CAR Sant Cugat del Vallès del CST (Consorci Sanitari de Terrassa)
Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay.