The Gender and ICT research group was established in 2006 in the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3) at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya to identify and analyse the gender relations involved in the design, development and use of scientific and technological innovations, with a particular focus on ICT (Information and Communication Technology) and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
We tackle the effects of Internet and ICTs on different aspects of the human activity from a gender perspective and an interdisciplinary approach. The team is at the forefront of advancing knowledge regarding the continued importance of gender as a structuring and mainstream principle of contemporary internet based societies and social relations. Our work pursues the monitoring of gender based social injustice across male and female-dominated occupations and the career ladder, predominantly in ICT and STEM fields. Gender and ICT is nowadays a Consolidated Research Group of Catalonia (2014 SGR 1199) and is active in projects at regional, national and international level.
Main research lines:
- The gender digital divide (ICT use, access, and abilities)
- Gendered factors shaping young people’s motivations to choose ICT and STEM studies and occupations
- The development of gender roles and stereotypes about ICT and STEM occupations during childhood and adolescence
- Main barriers to women’s career trajectories and top positions in ICT and STEM
- Comparative analysis of policies for gender equality in science and technology in Europe
- Gendered innovation and gendered knowledge management